Make song less popular?

The Tuniac forum.
Sigurd

Make song less popular?

Post by Sigurd »

Is there a way to decrease the chance that a song will be played.

I have a bunch of music that I really think is historically important, but the sound recordings are crap. I'd be happy to give each song in the whole category of songs a 1/3 chance of being played.

I guess, I'm asking if there is any way to weight the song selection of a random draw without duplicating the songs you want to be popular?

Is there a way to do this?
Brett
Site Admin

Re: Make song less popular?

Post by Brett »

There is no way to weight songs.

You could however create a playlist that excludes these files.
The easiest way to do that would be to give them a unique tag or something in their file path(Eg c:\music\old stuff\album 1\)
Then do a reverse sort on URL for old stuff, and it will find everything that is not old stuff, then click the "<" that appears next to the search field. This will create a playlist excluding "old stuff".
Make the playlist active by double click a song, then let shuffle do it's magic in that playlist.

PS the idea of weighting shuffle has been around since before 2005 and after about 10 years still hasn't happened.
Ideas.txt is ideas Blaire and I came up with that could be interesting to do down the line. Since getting moved to svn by Tony is 2007 it hasnt been touched :)
http://sourceforge.net/p/tuniac/code/HE ... /Ideas.txt
Sigurd

Post by Sigurd »

I suspected that might be the case.

Still a wonderful program.
Sigurd

Post by Sigurd »

So I made a separate playlist with just the permanent local drive songs. "Drive C"

Can I make playlists starting from this list and have a route to selected local songs?

S
Brett
Site Admin

Post by Brett »

Sigurd wrote:So I made a separate playlist with just the permanent local drive songs. "Drive C"

Can I make playlists starting from this list and have a route to selected local songs?
I do not follow, can you reword this to better explain what you want to do?
Sigurd

Post by Sigurd »

I am manually keeping separate databases I construct for different moods.

Rather than have, in program, a selection to dump and reload. I close the program and copy a database from eg \studying to ..\Roaming\Tuniac\

I have directories with less popular songs that I just don't load into some DBs. Its a severe work around but it works.

I would prefer to have a selection in 'preferences that would do the same thing. Perhaps a ...\Roaming\Tuniac\DB1, ...\Roaming\Tuniac\DB2, etc...

Sigurd
Brett
Site Admin

Post by Brett »

Ok lets see if this is close enough for you, try Tuniac 150117.
You can grab the test versions from here:
http://wasteofcash.com/Tuniac/

It contains a new command line:
-libraryfolder

If not defined Tuniac will load/save to:
%appdata%\Tuniac\
aka
C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Tuniac

But you can set the path eg:
TuniacApp.exe" -libraryfolder=%appdata%\Tuniac\Christmas
or
TuniacApp.exe -libraryfolder=%appdata%\Tuniac\Rock
or
TuniacApp.exe -libraryfolder=C:\MyTuniacLibrary\1
or
TuniacApp.exe -libraryfolder="C:\My Folder With Spaces\Whatever"

Rules:
1)No trailing slashes
2)You can not define the filenames themselves(TuniacMediaLibrary.dat, Playlists.dat), only the folder.
3)Note quotes if you want spaces in the folder name, without quotes it would save to: C:\My
4)You can "unset" the folder(eg go back to default path) via: TuniacApp.exe -libraryfolder=
5)You will need to launch Tuniac with this command line to load the alternative ML/PL files; Once Tuniac is running the ML/PL does not reload, you can only change the save location.
6)Tuniac will not automatically reuse the alternative ML/PL files, on each Tuniac launch you will need to resend the command line.
7)You should create numerous Windows shortcuts which make use of the command line

My idea of your use:
1)create 3 or more shortcuts for Tuniac:
First is a standard one that simply launches Tuniac.
Second called "Tuniac Christmas" with command: TuniacApp.exe -libraryfolder=%appdata%\Tuniac\Christmas
Third called "Tuniac Rock" with command: TuniacApp.exe -libraryfolder=%appdata%\Tuniac\Rock
2)Launch the first icon, this creates you default DB. Force save the ML to save this DB.
3)With Tuniac still open, open the Tuniac Christmas shortcut.
4)Modify your ML to suit your Christmas taste
5)Close tuniac
6)Launch first icon again, this will load you standard DB saved before.
7)With Tuniac still open, open the Tuniac Rock shortcut.
8)Modify your ML to suit your Rock taste
9)Close Tuniac

You now have 3 separate databases that can be launched by the 3 separate shortcuts.
Sigurd

Post by Sigurd »

Thanks!

I'll try that.

Can I also ask about a small disconnect I see?

Everything on the forum talks about the program by release number but that's not in the 'about Tuniac' page. That goes by date.
Brett
Site Admin

Post by Brett »

Release number is the date, although in a slightly different format.

150117 is Jan 17, 2015;
YYMMDD
Brett
Site Admin

Post by Brett »

PS 150118 includes an updated About Window that shows the build number in the same format as the installer filename.
:)

PPS with the new -libraryfolder you could also share a database between different PC's via a shared drive.

Eg:
Networked drive Z:\
Launch Tuniac from any PC with: TuniacApp.exe -libraryfolder=Z:\TuniacLibrary

Note changes will not be live between PC's, Tuniac saves to disk when it closes or when force save is selected.
Tuniac will overwrite any existing database inside the libraryfolder with the current local database on close.